Suspended Deptford, NJ officer indicted for friend's murder
WOODBURY, N.J. - September 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- A suspended southern New Jersey police officer has been indicted on two counts of first-degree murder in the shooting death of a friend earlier this year.
James Stuart of Deptford was also charged with aggravated manslaughter and a weapons offense in the indictment handed up Wednesday by a Gloucester County grand jury.
The 29-year-old Stuart was off-duty when he allegedly shot 27-year-old David Compton of Woodbury on Jan. 5. Compton died several days later from his wounds.
Authorities have said the shooting occurred inside Stuart's apartment.
But a possible motive has not been disclosed, and authorities have not said whether Stuart's service weapon was used in the shooting.
Stuart's lawyer has said the shooting was a "terrible accident."
new jersey news, shooting, police, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 1 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend! 23 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft 12 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting 17 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian killed in Collingdale hit-and-run 28 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Finally, a nice weekend!
23 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
1 min ago
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart...
12 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton...
17 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos