Nation's first non-profit supermarket coming to Chester
CHESTER, Pa. - September 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- For the first time in more than a decade, a new supermarket is opening in Chester.
Called 'Fare and Square,' it is the first non-profit supermarket in the country.
"I just think it's awesome," said Chester resident Jennifer Kurz. "The healthy food is like, number one."
The store will have fresh meats, seafood and brand name products.
Until now, Chester residents have had to travel outside of Chester to shop for these things, making it what the USDA calls a food desert - areas where residents don't have access to nutritional food within their own community.
Bill Clark, Executive Director of Philabudance, says almost 50 percent of Chester residents don't have their own vehicle. Now, that won't be such a big problem.
The store is also the first to be owned and operated by Philabundance, making it a non-profit store, meaning lower prices.
In fact, Philabundance estimates prices could be eight to 10 percent lower than comparable stores in an urban setting.
Philabundance is also dedicated to creating jobs for Chester residents. Eighty percent of the 69 new employees live in Chester and most of them were hired after completing a Philabundance training program.
Some we spoke to have been looking for a job for some time.
"For the last three years I've been unemployed and to work in the city of Chester is just, it's wonderful for me, because I can walk to work," said Doretha Brown.
"They're giving people with a background a chance to actually do something with their life," said Cliff Newsome.
The store is also bringing a sense of pride back to the community.
"So we're going to try to make this work so we can show people that Chester is a good city," said Andre Dorsey.
The Fair and Square Supermarket is at 9th and Trainer Streets and the grand opening is Saturday at 10:00 a.m.
pennsylvania news, chester news, food, local/state
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 45 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 10 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 16 min ago
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
- Car, SUV collide outside Trenton firehouse
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Accused Craigslist robber charged with murdering accomplice 32 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Security breach affected all cards, not...
16 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos