Police in Pleasantville, New Jersey cleared in deadly shooting
PLEASANTVILLE, N.J. - September 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Grand jurors have cleared three Pleasantville police officers who shot and killed an armed man outside his home.
Approximately 10 officers in April responded to a 911 call from 19-year-old Alexis Perez, who told a dispatcher he felt like killing somebody.
The Press of Atlantic City eports acting Atlantic County Prosecutor Jim McClain says officers did everything not to shoot Perez, including allowing him to get within 6 feet of them even though he was armed with a knife.
Three officers opened fire when Perez refused to drop the weapon. Seven bullets struck Perez in the head, neck, chest, shoulder and abdomen. He died at the scene.
Information from: The Press of Atlantic City (N.J.)
new jersey news, atlantic county news, police, shooting, local/state
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash 23 min ago
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar