911 calls show effort to douse Seaside Park, NJ boardwalk fire
SEASIDE PARK, N.J. - September 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Recordings of 911 calls show citizens frantically tried to extinguish the fire that destroyed more than 50 businesses on a New Jersey boardwalk.
A caller tells a police dispatcher that people have a hose on the fire, but "it's going from nothing to something."
Another caller said smoke was rising out of the Seaside Park boardwalk and "everybody's like trying to throw water on it."
Dispatchers told callers that firefighters were on the way and warned the callers to stay away from the fire.
Wind-whipped flames spread the blaze along the boards to Seaside Heights on Sept. 12.
Investigators found the fire was caused by old wiring that had been compromised by saltwater and sand during Superstorm Sandy.
new jersey news, fire, 9-1-1 call, jersey shore news, ocean county news, local/state
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 55 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila. 1 min ago
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Beyonce releases new album on iTunes 35 min ago
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
55 min ago
- Beyonce releases new album on iTunes
35 min ago
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila.
1 min ago
- Police investigate armed home invasion in...
23 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos