Police officer shot during struggle with suspect in Coatesville
COATESVILLE, Pa. - September 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- A police officer is recovering after she was shot and wounded in Coatesville, Chester County.
It happened at 10:30 p.m. Saturday at Third and Kersey Streets.
Police tell Action News the officer was involved in the pursuit of a hit-and-run suspect, identified as 42-year-old Michael Vega of Coatesville.
She caught up to Vega and was involved in a struggle, police say.
The officer's weapon went off during the struggle and she was shot in the leg.
Medics took the officer to Brandywine Hospital. She is expected to be okay.
Vega was taken into custody and charged with aggravated assault and DUI.
He is being held on $500,000 bail.
pennsylvania news, shooting, police, chester county news, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 37 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight 35 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia
- Freeze Warning overnight
35 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos