Police officer shot during struggle with suspect in Coatesville
COATESVILLE, Pa. - September 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- A police officer is recovering after she was shot and wounded in Coatesville, Chester County.
It happened at 10:30 p.m. Saturday at Third and Kersey Streets.
Police tell Action News the officer was involved in the pursuit of a hit-and-run suspect, identified as 42-year-old Michael Vega of Coatesville.
She caught up to Vega and was involved in a struggle, police say.
The officer's weapon went off during the struggle and she was shot in the leg.
Medics took the officer to Brandywine Hospital. She is expected to be okay.
Vega was taken into custody and charged with aggravated assault and DUI.
He is being held on $500,000 bail.
pennsylvania news, shooting, police, chester county news, local/state
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Grandmother sentenced in Pa. baby's 2009 death 8 min ago
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Police question suspect in Christmas package theft
- Pa. man gets probation for 105 animals in mobile home 21 min ago
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep