Police officer shot during struggle with suspect in Coatesville
COATESVILLE, Pa. - September 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- A police officer is recovering after she was shot and wounded in Coatesville, Chester County.
It happened at 10:30 p.m. Saturday at Third and Kersey Streets.
Police tell Action News the officer was involved in the pursuit of a hit-and-run suspect, identified as 42-year-old Michael Vega of Coatesville.
She caught up to Vega and was involved in a struggle, police say.
The officer's weapon went off during the struggle and she was shot in the leg.
Medics took the officer to Brandywine Hospital. She is expected to be okay.
Vega was taken into custody and charged with aggravated assault and DUI.
He is being held on $500,000 bail.
pennsylvania news, shooting, police, chester county news, local/state
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 58 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures