Man shot on SEPTA stairwell near Philadelphia's City Hall dies
PHILADELPHIA - October 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a 37-year-old man shot on a stairway to a Center City subway concourse early Tuesday morning has died.
The shooting happened around 2:45 a.m. in the concourse stairwell at 15th and JFK Boulevard.
Preliminary information relayed to police was that three people - the victim, his brother, and a woman - were taking pictures at Love Park when two men in dark hooded sweatshirts approached. One of them pulled a gun and announced the robbery.
The victim took off running to the SEPTA stairway outside the Municipal Services Building. The gunman followed and opened fire, striking the victim once in the abdomen.
Both suspects fled the scene.
Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small explains, "We know that at least eight shots were fired from a large caliber semi-automatic handgun. We found eight spent shell casings and many projectiles and fragments in the stairwell."
Police soon located the victim and drove him to the hospital where he underwent surgery. He died at 1:30 p.m.
The name of the man killed has not been released.
Police interviewed witnesses after the shooting, and Action News is told investigators have acquired surveillance video from cameras in the area that captured at least some of the incident.
shooting, center city news, philadelphia news, local/state
- Screaming man attacks police district, cars 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 22 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station... 4 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 47 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire 17 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
47 min ago