Woman hits gas instead of brake, crashes into Hamilton Area YMCA, police say
HAMILTON TWP., N.J. - October 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a driver hit the gas instead of the brake Tuesday morning, sending her SUV crashing into a preschool classroom at the Hamilton Area YMCA.
34-year-old Elsa Cruz of Hamilton, N.J. was cited for careless driving and driving without a license.
The accident happened around 9:30 a.m. in the 1300 block of Whitehouse-Mercerville Road in Hamilton Township, Mercer County.
Police say Cruz was trying to park her 1997 Honda CRV when she hit the accelerator instead of the brake.
The SUV hit a steel pole barrier and crashed through a classroom window, coming to rest about a foot inside the building.
19 children and four staff members were in the room at the time, but no one was hurt.
Cruz also escaped serious injury.
The Hamilton Building Inspector has deemed the building safe for occupation.
mercer county news, new jersey news, accident, local/state
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- Officer shoots, kills Lancaster County man
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage 29 min ago
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ