Woman hits gas instead of brake, crashes into Hamilton Area YMCA, police say
HAMILTON TWP., N.J. - October 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a driver hit the gas instead of the brake Tuesday morning, sending her SUV crashing into a preschool classroom at the Hamilton Area YMCA.
34-year-old Elsa Cruz of Hamilton, N.J. was cited for careless driving and driving without a license.
The accident happened around 9:30 a.m. in the 1300 block of Whitehouse-Mercerville Road in Hamilton Township, Mercer County.
Police say Cruz was trying to park her 1997 Honda CRV when she hit the accelerator instead of the brake.
The SUV hit a steel pole barrier and crashed through a classroom window, coming to rest about a foot inside the building.
19 children and four staff members were in the room at the time, but no one was hurt.
Cruz also escaped serious injury.
The Hamilton Building Inspector has deemed the building safe for occupation.
mercer county news, new jersey news, accident, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos