More arrests made in University of Delaware 'Shmacked' party
NEWARK, Del. - October 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have announced more arrests stemming from a party that led to a rampage in Newark.
The huge beer bash was hosted by residents of a home in the 400 block of South College Avenue. It's known as the Rugby House because it houses members of the University of Delaware Men's Rugby Club.
Police have charged the following with disorderly conduct: 18-year-old Scott Crosby, 20-year-old Kyle Menchaca, 19-year-old Sean Pie, 19-year-old Mohammed Alam, and 22-year-old Jeffery Taviano. All are from Wilmington.
18-year-old John Marine turned himself in days after the incident. He was also charged with Disorderly Conduct.
Authorities are still searching for 7 others who were captured on camera. Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Greg Micolucci at (302) 366-7110 x132.
A few weeks ago, the Rugby Club was issued a ban for five years from the university. The club will not be able to play or practice at university facilities until 2018.
Police say the party hosts encouraged the excessive behavior that led to a near-riot in downtown Newark.
The president of the Rugby Club said the organization is appealing the suspension. He says the party wasn't sanctioned by the club and that its 80 members shouldn't be penalized for the actions of the two students who staged the party.
Those two hosts have been arrested, as have one of the young men who jumped onto a Mustang on High Street. The owner says it caused $5,400 damage.
Police have also arrested a photographer who was working for "I'm Shmacked," the company that stages the parties and then posts videos of drunken college kids.
The University of Delaware says the rugby club is suspended because its members violated the School's code of Conduct by hosting the party.
Newark police continue their investigation. And they say they are also looking at possible criminal charges against the people behind "I'm Shmacked."
delaware news, newark, del. news, university of delaware, local/state
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd 37 min ago
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55 41 min ago
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident 37 min ago
- Boston Marathon to be under tight security
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
37 min ago