More arrests made in University of Delaware 'Shmacked' party
NEWARK, Del. - October 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have announced more arrests stemming from a party that led to a rampage in Newark.
The huge beer bash was hosted by residents of a home in the 400 block of South College Avenue. It's known as the Rugby House because it houses members of the University of Delaware Men's Rugby Club.
Police have charged the following with disorderly conduct: 18-year-old Scott Crosby, 20-year-old Kyle Menchaca, 19-year-old Sean Pie, 19-year-old Mohammed Alam, and 22-year-old Jeffery Taviano. All are from Wilmington.
18-year-old John Marine turned himself in days after the incident. He was also charged with Disorderly Conduct.
Authorities are still searching for 7 others who were captured on camera. Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Greg Micolucci at (302) 366-7110 x132.
A few weeks ago, the Rugby Club was issued a ban for five years from the university. The club will not be able to play or practice at university facilities until 2018.
Police say the party hosts encouraged the excessive behavior that led to a near-riot in downtown Newark.
The president of the Rugby Club said the organization is appealing the suspension. He says the party wasn't sanctioned by the club and that its 80 members shouldn't be penalized for the actions of the two students who staged the party.
Those two hosts have been arrested, as have one of the young men who jumped onto a Mustang on High Street. The owner says it caused $5,400 damage.
Police have also arrested a photographer who was working for "I'm Shmacked," the company that stages the parties and then posts videos of drunken college kids.
The University of Delaware says the rugby club is suspended because its members violated the School's code of Conduct by hosting the party.
Newark police continue their investigation. And they say they are also looking at possible criminal charges against the people behind "I'm Shmacked."
delaware news, newark, del. news, university of delaware, local/state
- London theater partially collapses during performance 9 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings 26 min ago
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Uwchlan Twp. man arrested following...
14 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos