Philadelphia police officer charged in fatal crash surrenders
PHILADELPHIA - October 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- A well-regarded Philadelphia police officer and member of the administrative staff surrendered Tuesday on homicide by vehicle charges.
Sgt. Thomas Winkis was behind the wheel of a Dodge Challenger on September 14th when it broadsided a van at Street Road and Ashburner Street.
Police say Winkis was driving under the influence at 100 miles per hour.
The driver of the van, David Farries, died two days later. His family claimed police were dragging their feet for two weeks before charging Winkis.
"For anyone to suggest, even if they're in an emotional state right now, that somehow this is special treatment is flat-out wrong," said Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey.
The crash happened just days after Winkis buried his ex-wife, who was also a police officer.
"On Labor Day his ex-wife suffered a brain aneurysm, passed away. He's got three children. Now, two weeks later, he's facing these charges," said Ramsey.
Police waited for the toxicology results before filing the charges. Winkis is charged with homicide by vehicle while driving under the influence and involuntary manslaughter.
Farries leaves behind four daughters and seven grandchildren.
"It's tragic all the way around. I'm certainly sorry for the loss of life, I'm sorry for the loss of career. There's just no winners," Ramsey said.
Winkis was arraigned on Tuesday afternoon and bail was set at 10% of $50,000.
philadelphia news, holmesburg news, accident, DUI, police, local/state
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 31 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 52 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 16 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
16 min ago