Philadelphia police officer charged in fatal crash surrenders
PHILADELPHIA - October 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- A well-regarded Philadelphia police officer and member of the administrative staff surrendered Tuesday on homicide by vehicle charges.
Sgt. Thomas Winkis was behind the wheel of a Dodge Challenger on September 14th when it broadsided a van at Street Road and Ashburner Street.
Police say Winkis was driving under the influence at 100 miles per hour.
The driver of the van, David Farries, died two days later. His family claimed police were dragging their feet for two weeks before charging Winkis.
"For anyone to suggest, even if they're in an emotional state right now, that somehow this is special treatment is flat-out wrong," said Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey.
The crash happened just days after Winkis buried his ex-wife, who was also a police officer.
"On Labor Day his ex-wife suffered a brain aneurysm, passed away. He's got three children. Now, two weeks later, he's facing these charges," said Ramsey.
Police waited for the toxicology results before filing the charges. Winkis is charged with homicide by vehicle while driving under the influence and involuntary manslaughter.
Farries leaves behind four daughters and seven grandchildren.
"It's tragic all the way around. I'm certainly sorry for the loss of life, I'm sorry for the loss of career. There's just no winners," Ramsey said.
Winkis was arraigned on Tuesday afternoon and bail was set at 10% of $50,000.
philadelphia news, holmesburg news, accident, DUI, police, local/state
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today 10 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police seek missing woman; baby found 9 min ago
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera 55 min ago
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook 27 min ago
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Penn Medical School sued over researcher's death
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- DA: Woman gambled away stepson's inheritance
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
55 min ago
- Drug dealers targeted in Collingdale sweep
31 min ago
- Philadelphia police officer's stolen SUV...
19 min ago