Mold preoblems resurface at school
WYNCOTE, PA. - October 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Cleaning crews are busy fighting a second round of mold at a Montgomery County school.
Cedarbrook Middle School in Wyncote has closed down two classrooms and the cafeteria.
Officials say the building continues to be monitored and nobody inside is in any danger. So far, the cost of the cleanup efforts has reached $500,000.
The start of school was delayed by two weeks this past month because of mold found during the summer.
Tests for mold recently came back positive in 2 of the classrooms and the school's cafeteria. The students are now eating lunch in a school cafeteria.
It was back on July 18th when custodians found a thin coating of mold covering just about every surface in the 43-year-old school, including desks, chairs, walls, ceilings and floors.
Many of the parents who spoke with Action News on October 2nd said they find it hard to believe that the mold problems began this past summer. Diana Glantz said her youngest two children were "sick all the time" when they attended the school. She said she attributed the problem to allegies, asthma or a sinus infection.
An investigation found it was caused by sweaty, cold water pipes in the cooling system.
A massive cleanup and remediation effort kept the school closed an extra two weeks. </p
pennsylvania news, montgomery county news, school, local/state, walter perez
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected 6 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera 22 min ago
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Video: Christmas tree comes to life in school prank
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
6 min ago
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught...
22 min ago