2 women robbed; 1 shot, critically injured in Juniata Park
PHILADELPHIA - October 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say two women were robbed and one of them was shot and critically injured in the city's Juniata Park section early Thursday morning.
Investigators have recovered a semi-automatic handgun they believe was fired in the armed robbery in the 1000 block of Luzerne Street.
Soon after the shots were fired, a suspect was found hiding underneath a red truck around the corner, in the 4000 block of Palmetto Street. The weapon was nearby.
"Officers put this man in custody," said Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small. "Witnesses took a look and positively identified him as the shooter."
This all took place just before 2:30 a.m. Thursday.
Police say the 21-year-old victim and her 20-year-old friend were walking back from a nearby 7-Eleven when two men approached them as they were just feet from the victim's home.
One robber pulled a gun. The suspects demanded money, and even though some was handed over, the gunman fired three shots. Two of them hit the victim.
"We found three shell casings, and these shell casings were within feet of where the victim collapsed, where the victim dropped her bag," said Small. "So we know that these shots were fired basically from point-blank range."
The victim was hit in the right side of the chest and left hip and rushed to Temple University Hospital for surgery.
She remains in critical condition.
Police are questioning the suspect now in custody. Charges have not yet been filed.
The search for the second suspect continues.
The shooting came as a shock to some neighbors. One man rushed to the scene when he heard what happened.
"When I heard the news I came right over," said Luis Perez, "to make sure my family was safe."
shooting, juniata park news, philadelphia news, local/state
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)