Police: Church van in Garden State Parkway crash was overloaded
SADDLE BROOK, N.J. - October 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- State Police say an upstate New York church van was carrying 23 people when it collided with a New Jersey Transit bus on the Garden State Parkway, killing a woman.
The bus was headed from Spring Valley, N.Y., to a Bible study session in Newark when police say it hit the bus, which was carrying no passengers, on the Exit 159 ramp in Saddle Brook Tuesday.
State Police Sgt. Brian Polite tells The Record newspaper it's too early to say whether the heavy passenger load contributed to the crash. Polite says the van swerved into the lane the bus was in, struck the bus and rolled over.
The bus driver was not injured.
The crash killed Velma Castro and critically injured four others in the van.
Information from: The Record (Woodland Park, N.J.), http://www.northjersey.com
new jersey news, accident, local/state
- Snow today, heavy at times
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 42 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick in Mobile 6 on I-76
- Video: David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq.
- Video: John Rawlins on snow in E. Norriton
- Video: Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton
- Video: Katherine Scott on snow in Delaware
- 2 corrections officers hurt in Concord Twp. crash 6 min ago
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder