Susan G. Komen 3-Day kicks off
PHILADELPHIA - October 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- With determination in their minds and sneakers on their feet, 1,200 people embarked on the Susan G. Komen Philadelphia 3-Day, which kicked off this morning in Willow Grove, Montgomery County.
These steps are for survivors, for those who succumbed. These 60 miles are a time to remember and a time of solidarity.
Cammie Sanders of West Chester tells us, "It's amazing to have all these wonderful people to celebrate with that I'm here another year."
Wilmington Helene Kennedy says, "I'm walking for my cousin Debbie. Her and I were diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years ago and she's not with me today."
This is a serious cause but it's not without serious fun. From the head to toe pink, the costumes, and the warm welcome to the "City of Booberly Love". Since 2005, the Philadelphia 3-Day has raised more than $50-million in the fight to end breast cancer - and that's not even counting this year.
Organizers say they're making strides.
Sheri Phillips, the national spokesperson for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day, explains, "Some of us are survivors like myself, some are co-survivors, some are just merely aware that someone somewhere in the world dies from breast cancer every 19 seconds and they're here to make a difference."
These men and women have logged quite a few miles already, but there's still a ways to go.
philadelphia news, breast cancer, cancer, charity, local/state
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking 47 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 54 min ago
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
47 min ago