Remains of West Chester Vietnam vet laid to rest
OXFORD, Pa. - October 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- Warrior Watch motorcyclists escorting a hearse with a flag draped casket from the Philadelphia International Airport.
The remains inside were not from a current war but another time and place. The Vietnam veterans in this group honored one of their own.
"We founded Warrior Watch Riders to make sure what happen to us 45 years ago didn't happen to this generation of veterans. This is even more important, we are still bringing home veterans of the Vietnam era," said Wayne Lutz.
Major Louis Guillermin grew up in West Chester and earned his Air Force wings. The 25-year-old was navigator of an A-26 attack aircraft, a World War II vintage bomber modified for ground attack.
Guillermin's plane went down April 1968. He was missing for 45 years. He was identified using DNA just this year.
His casket was escorted to the Collins funeral home in Oxford on Friday. Crowded along sidewalks, scores of people showed their respect.
"My thoughts, I am glad they brought him home. I had tears in my eyes. I'm thankful that we don't give up," said one onlooker.
Guillermin left behind a young bride. She grieved but moved on, remarried and is a grandmother. However she will be at his graveside.
"I hope people will look at this as a celebration of life because he really did have a very full life, it wasn't a long life but it was full," said Donna Stoyko.
Following a short service at the funeral home, Warrior Watch escorted the Major Guillermin's remains to a Broomall cemetery where his parents are buried.
There will also be a funeral with full military honors.
pennsylvania news, chester county news, west chester news, veterans, local/state, john rawlins
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 33 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 55 min ago
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose