Mercer County inmate charged in cellmate's death
HOPEWELL, N.J. - October 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- An inmate at a Mercer County correctional facility is dead and authorities have charged his cellmate in the murder.
It happened around 1:30 Saturday morning at the Mercer County Corrections Center in Hopewell.
Officers noticed water flowing from under the door of a cell.
When they arrived, they found the body of 38-year-old Darryl Boone. Standing nearby was his cellmate 19-year-old Lamar Gaines.
Officers apprehended Gaines and attempted to revive Boone but were unsuccessful.
Authorities say a preliminary investigation revealed that Gaines allegedly choked and suffocated Boone. There were also indications of a physical assault.
Gaines has been charged with murder and bail was set at $1 million.
Officials also report that Gaines was also involved in an incident on October 3 in the gym area of the correction center.
Another inmate was left hospitalized and Gaines was charged with attempted murder in that incident.
Boone's cause of death has not been revealed, pending an autopsy.
new jersey news, mercer county news, homicide, local/state
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila. 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
20 min ago