Mercer County inmate charged in cellmate's death
HOPEWELL, N.J. - October 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- An inmate at a Mercer County correctional facility is dead and authorities have charged his cellmate in the murder.
It happened around 1:30 Saturday morning at the Mercer County Corrections Center in Hopewell.
Officers noticed water flowing from under the door of a cell.
When they arrived, they found the body of 38-year-old Darryl Boone. Standing nearby was his cellmate 19-year-old Lamar Gaines.
Officers apprehended Gaines and attempted to revive Boone but were unsuccessful.
Authorities say a preliminary investigation revealed that Gaines allegedly choked and suffocated Boone. There were also indications of a physical assault.
Gaines has been charged with murder and bail was set at $1 million.
Officials also report that Gaines was also involved in an incident on October 3 in the gym area of the correction center.
Another inmate was left hospitalized and Gaines was charged with attempted murder in that incident.
Boone's cause of death has not been revealed, pending an autopsy.
new jersey news, mercer county news, homicide, local/state
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire 52 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 21 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 39 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest