Mercer County inmate charged in cellmate's death
HOPEWELL, N.J. - October 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- An inmate at a Mercer County correctional facility is dead and authorities have charged his cellmate in the murder.
It happened around 1:30 Saturday morning at the Mercer County Corrections Center in Hopewell.
Officers noticed water flowing from under the door of a cell.
When they arrived, they found the body of 38-year-old Darryl Boone. Standing nearby was his cellmate 19-year-old Lamar Gaines.
Officers apprehended Gaines and attempted to revive Boone but were unsuccessful.
Authorities say a preliminary investigation revealed that Gaines allegedly choked and suffocated Boone. There were also indications of a physical assault.
Gaines has been charged with murder and bail was set at $1 million.
Officials also report that Gaines was also involved in an incident on October 3 in the gym area of the correction center.
Another inmate was left hospitalized and Gaines was charged with attempted murder in that incident.
Boone's cause of death has not been revealed, pending an autopsy.
new jersey news, mercer county news, homicide, local/state
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Brisk And Cold 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill 7 min ago
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment 15 min ago
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Kevin Hart on stolen computers: I'll be back
- Brisk And Cold
1 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in...
7 min ago