Crimefighters: Reward in shooting that left teen without an eye
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - October 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- A North Philadelphia teenager was left without an eye after being hit by a stray bullet and her mother is pleading for justice.
The afternoon of Sunday, June 9th changed 13-year-old Patricia Rainey's life forever.
"I heard shots, I didn't witness it. When I went to my door, Patricia's friend was coming around the corner screaming 'PJ got shot!' said Christinea Rainey, mother.
Rainey and Patricia's father rushed to the corner of Norris and Croskey streets in North Philadelphia.
"When I got there he was embracing her. She was crying, she was holding her eye and for one second I got to see what it looked like," said Rainey.
Patricia was walking home from the playground when a stray bullet from a nearby shooting hit her in the eye.
"The bullet went in her eye and from what the doctor's said it spun in a circle and destroyed her eye completely," said Rainey.
As a result, doctors had to remove her left eye. She's now blind in that eye and wears a temporary prosthetic.
Rainey says there were a lot of people outside that day and she hopes that someone will come forward.
"They could have shot their mother, their children, they could have shot anybody on that block but my baby got hit," said Rainey.
Now nearly four months after the shooting, Rainey says Patricia is dealing with her new life the best she can.
"She's pretty resilient, I've seen it in one breath it seems like it didn't really happen but in another breath she hates it," she said.
The Citizens Crime Commission is administering a $2,000 reward for anyone with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.
All you have to do is call 215-546-TIPS (8477) and all calls will remain anonymous.
philadelphia news, north philadelphia news, shooting, crimefighters, local/state, rick williams
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish 30 min ago
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill 10 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar