Crimefighters: Reward in shooting that left teen without an eye
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - October 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- A North Philadelphia teenager was left without an eye after being hit by a stray bullet and her mother is pleading for justice.
The afternoon of Sunday, June 9th changed 13-year-old Patricia Rainey's life forever.
"I heard shots, I didn't witness it. When I went to my door, Patricia's friend was coming around the corner screaming 'PJ got shot!' said Christinea Rainey, mother.
Rainey and Patricia's father rushed to the corner of Norris and Croskey streets in North Philadelphia.
"When I got there he was embracing her. She was crying, she was holding her eye and for one second I got to see what it looked like," said Rainey.
Patricia was walking home from the playground when a stray bullet from a nearby shooting hit her in the eye.
"The bullet went in her eye and from what the doctor's said it spun in a circle and destroyed her eye completely," said Rainey.
As a result, doctors had to remove her left eye. She's now blind in that eye and wears a temporary prosthetic.
Rainey says there were a lot of people outside that day and she hopes that someone will come forward.
"They could have shot their mother, their children, they could have shot anybody on that block but my baby got hit," said Rainey.
Now nearly four months after the shooting, Rainey says Patricia is dealing with her new life the best she can.
"She's pretty resilient, I've seen it in one breath it seems like it didn't really happen but in another breath she hates it," she said.
The Citizens Crime Commission is administering a $2,000 reward for anyone with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.
All you have to do is call 215-546-TIPS (8477) and all calls will remain anonymous.
philadelphia news, north philadelphia news, shooting, crimefighters, local/state, rick williams
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 13 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Investigator: Missing plane flew over Malaysia 10 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- SEPTA announces strike contingency plan 30 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant 31 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
13 min ago