Suspect found unconscious in Southwest Philadelphia standoff
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - October 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Southwest Philadelphia standoff ended after the suspect was found unconscious inside the home Sunday morning.
Police were called to a house on the 2600 block of South Daggett Street for reports of gunshots around 3:00 a.m.
After arriving officers heard gunfire, so SWAT teams responded and surrounded the home.
Police soon discovered a gunman had his wife and three children inside.
Authorities say the suspect's family were able to exit the home unharmed.
According to authorities, the suspect fired at least one shot at the officers.
None of the officers were hurt, but police say a man was shot in the leg. He was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in an unknown condition. Reports indicate he may be a neighbor.
Police say at no point did the suspect try to communicate with officials.
SWAT officers sent in three robots to check the inside of the home and discovered the suspect unconscious in the bedroom.
The standoff came to an end when the gunman was taken into custody around 6:45 a.m.
philadelphia news, southwest philadelphia news, standoff, shooting, local/state
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
- Turning Milder 12 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Video: Christmas tree comes to life in school prank