Cab driver sentenced for leaving fatal crash scene
MAYS LANDING, N.J. - October 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- A taxi driver convicted of leaving the scene of a fatal accident in Atlantic City has been sentenced to five years in state prison.
Jean Sene of Pleasantville argued at trial that his cab didn't hit 88-year-old Bu Do Jo as she crossed the street in December 2011.
His defense team claimed the woman fell and was then hit by a jitney, which caused her death, so Sene did not feel that he was not required to stop.
But the judge told jurors they could only determine whether the defendant was involved in the accident and if he knowingly left the scene.
Defense lawyers told The Press of Atlantic City that they plan to appeal the judge's decision and the verdict.
Sene, who maintains his innocence, was sentenced Friday.
Information from: The Press of Atlantic City (N.J.)
new jersey news, atlantic city news, homicide, local/state
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire 5 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 4 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest