6 shot in Southwest Philadelphia; 1 dead, 1 critical, 4 stable
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - October 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- One person is dead, one is in critical condition and four more are stable after a shooting on Sunday night in Southwest Philadelphia.
Police say this may have been a drive-by shooting or even an ambush but, for now, cannot say that for certain.
Officers were called to the intersection of 54th Street and Florence Avenue around 7:00 p.m.
Of the six young men who were shot, one was pronounced dead at the scene.
Five other victims were rushed to area hospitals.
One witness, who did not want to give his name, said "I hit the deck, that's all I can tell you. I heard the shots and I hit the deck."
The man killed was 23 years old. Police say he was shot multiple times in the back and chest.
Another 23-year-old was shot in the chest and is in critical condition.
The victims in stable condition include three 18-year-olds and a 21-year-old.
Police say there are about 50 shell casings at the scene, which police believe came from multiple guns.
Investigators say no witnesses have come forward, and no suspects have been identified.
Police were interviewing some of the survivors. Authorities don't know if some of the victims may also be suspects, so all are under police guard.
The victims were apparently part of a group hanging out in front of Los Papi's Deli and Grocery Store.
philadelphia news, southwest philadelphia news, shooting, homicide, local/state
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Tracking Weekend Storm 50 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Tracking Weekend Storm
50 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos