6 shot in Southwest Philadelphia; 1 dead, 1 critical, 4 stable
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - October 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- One person is dead, one is in critical condition and four more are stable after a shooting on Sunday night in Southwest Philadelphia.
Police say this may have been a drive-by shooting or even an ambush but, for now, cannot say that for certain.
Officers were called to the intersection of 54th Street and Florence Avenue around 7:00 p.m.
Of the six young men who were shot, one was pronounced dead at the scene.
Five other victims were rushed to area hospitals.
One witness, who did not want to give his name, said "I hit the deck, that's all I can tell you. I heard the shots and I hit the deck."
The man killed was 23 years old. Police say he was shot multiple times in the back and chest.
Another 23-year-old was shot in the chest and is in critical condition.
The victims in stable condition include three 18-year-olds and a 21-year-old.
Police say there are about 50 shell casings at the scene, which police believe came from multiple guns.
Investigators say no witnesses have come forward, and no suspects have been identified.
Police were interviewing some of the survivors. Authorities don't know if some of the victims may also be suspects, so all are under police guard.
The victims were apparently part of a group hanging out in front of Los Papi's Deli and Grocery Store.
philadelphia news, southwest philadelphia news, shooting, homicide, local/state
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 48 min ago
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos