Reading woman hospitalized after fire kills 20 pets
READING, Pa. - October 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- An eastern Pennsylvania woman is hospitalized after being rescued from her burning home in a fire that killed about 20 of her pets.
Reading police said 61-year-old Christine Kramer was in critical condition Monday and being treated for smoke inhalation.
Fire officials said about 17 cats died in the fire, as well as a dog and two birds. Six other cats were treated at the scene with animal oxygen masks and are being cared for at the Animal Rescue League.
Investigators said the blaze broke out shortly before 2 a.m. Monday and was the result of unattended cooking.
Acting Fire Chief Gary Mogel said damage was estimated at $25,000 to $30,000. He said the house did not seem to have any working smoke detectors.
reading news, berks county news, pennsylvania news, fire, animals, local/state
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 12 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 38 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom