Demolition, cleanup begins on Seaside Park boardwalk
SEASIDE PARK, N.J. - October 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Demolition and cleanup work is set to begin this week along a Jersey shore boardwalk where a fire destroyed dozens of businesses.
Seaside Park and Seaside Heights officials have agreed to hire South Toms River-based Eagle Paving Corp. roughly $4.7 million for the work.
The company is operated by the man who also runs FunTown Pier. The amusement pier was destroyed in Superstorm Sandy and lost what was left in the Sept. 12 boardwalk fire.
The two towns plan to build a temporary dune to protect the shore line in the area where the debris is until new development begins.
Authorities blamed Sandy for damaging electrical wiring that sparked the fire in Seaside.
new jersey news, ocean county news, fire, local/state
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Video: Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash