Investigation continues in Southwest Philadelphia mass shooting
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - October 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- The investigation continued Monday into a mass shooting that left one man dead and five others hurt in Southwest Philadelphia.
Residents of the Kingsessing neighborhood are on edge after last night's carnage that turned the intersection of 54th and Florence into a war zone.
A group of young men had been hanging on the corner outside a deli when police say four or five young men in hoodies walked up.
"There was a large group of individuals there and these four, five males all armed with guns started firing into the crowd," Captain James Clark of the Philadelphia Police Department said.
Six young men, between the ages of 18 and 23, were hit by the barrage of more than 50 bullets.
One of them, 23-year-old Devin Hatch, died on the scene.
Action News spoke with a woman who had been on the corner moments earlier and then came running to help.
"My husband and I started administering CPR to the young man that died. He didn't make it. It's sad, just really sad," the woman said.
Police believe Hatch was the target.
Hatch has a history of arrests for drugs and guns.
Investigators believe the recent violence in the neighborhood may be a turf war between rival drug gangs.
Just over a week ago, a 26-year-old man was shot and killed two blocks away.
"A lot of previous shootings in the area. There was a homicide not too long ago in the area. We're looking at all those things, but right now it's too early to tell if this had anything to do with that," Clark said.
Police are keeping a close eye on the neighborhood to head off further violence.
"It's got to stop. It doesn't make sense," one neighbor said.
Police say they've made an arrest in the September 25th murder.
They're hoping to round up suspects in this latest outburst before there's more bloodshed in the neighborhood.
philadelphia news, southwest philadelphia news, shooting, homicide, local/state, david henry
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 39 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos