Rape charges dropped against ex-Temple football player
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - October 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- All charges have been dropped against a former member of Temple University's football team who was accused of rape.
Attorneys for 20-year-old Praise Martin-Oguike said the charges were dismissed as jury selection was to begin Monday.
The woman told police Martin-Oguike assaulted her in May 2012 in his dorm room. Martin-Oguike said the encounter was consensual.
Martin-Oguike's attorney James Funt said charges were dropped after a review of the woman's text messages with her friends indicated she was not truthful about being raped.
Funt said the former Temple linebacker was victimized by the woman "simply because he would not agree to have a romantic long-term relationship with her."
Martin-Oguike was suspended from the team after he was charged. He now attends a New Jersey community college.
philadelphia news, temple, rape, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos