96-year-old woman sexually assaulted in Pleasantville home, son tells Action News
PLEASANTVILLE, N.J. - October 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating the brutal attack and sexual assault of a 96-year-old woman in Pleasantville, New Jersey.
The incident occurred around 5:00 a.m. Saturday.
"Right now, this is the lowest I've ever been in my life. To have something like this happen to your mother," the woman's son told Action News Monday night.
We are withholding his identity because of the nature of the crime.
He spent decades in law enforcement, but now his 96-year-old mother has allegedly been victim of a sexual assault.
"She went out to get the paper and she felt like this guy came in her house when she went out to get the paper. She went out to look for the paper and she couldn't find it," her son said.
He says his mother told him the suspect took her to the second floor, sexually assaulted her, and then stole a few items before fleeing.
Adding to the heartbreak, the woman had to bury another son later that day.
A granddaughter also died a few weeks earlier.
It's been a tough time for the family.
"To have something like this happen, it just throws you off balance," the son said.
The family believes they have some leads about whom may be responsible.
Neighbors wouldn't talk to Action News and police would only say they are investigating.
The grief-stricken son says his mother will not be going back to the home in which she lived for the past 60 years.
"I hope when he is apprehended, he will be taken out of society for a while, for a long time, that's what I'm hoping," the son said.
new jersey news, atlantic county news, sexual harassment, assault, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man