Suspect in deadly Bridgeton home invasion wanted for other crimes
BRIDGETON, N.J. - October 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Bridgeton police are trying to identify a suspect who not only killed a man in his home last night, but may also be responsible for a series of similar crimes in the neighborhood.
Tuesday afternoon, signs of a violent struggle remained on the front porch of the home on the 200 block of South Avenue where the victim lived with his wife and two sons.
44-year-old Enrique Santiago was gunned down in his own living room Monday night by an intruder who barged in demanding money.
Police say Santiago confronted the suspect, who forced his way in through the front door.
Santiago was shot and later died at the hospital.
Several other family members, who were home at the time, survived unharmed. The suspect fled without taking anything from the home, police say.
Just prior to the shooting, police believe the same suspect kicked in the door of another house down the block and robbed a 33-year-old woman at gunpoint.
Police say the two home invasions last night are part of a crime spree that's been plaguing this neighborhood since August. They believe the same suspect also robbed a woman at gunpoint a block away Sunday night.
The suspect is described as a black man around 6 feet tall with a thin build. Last night he was wearing a black mask, black sweat jacket and dark pants.
Police are asking residents to keep an eye out.
Police say they've made a half dozen robbery arrests in the area over the past couple of months. Now they have a killer on their hands and their asking for help from the public to get him off the streets.
Anyone with information on any of these incidents is asked to contact police or call the Crimestopper Tipline at 856-455-5550 or text the information anonymously to TIP411 using the subtext "Bridgeton."
new jersey news, cumberland county news, home invasion, shooting, homicide, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City 26 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting 18 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
26 min ago