Defense Sec. Hagel attends arrival of 4 war dead in Del.
DOVER, Del. - October 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel traveled to Dover Air Force Base on Wednesday for the arrival of the remains of four U.S. soldiers killed in Afghanistan.
Joining Hagel on the trip from Washington were Army Secretary John McHugh and Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno.
The remains of every U.S. military member killed overseas are flown to Dover for processing. Family members often attend the arrivals, but high-ranking Pentagon officials usually do not.
Hagel's trip to Delaware came amid congressional criticism over the suspension of $100,000 death benefit payments to families of fallen soldiers, which the Pentagon blames on the government shutdown.
The family of 24-year-old Pfc. Cody Patterson of Oregon allowed members of the media to witness the return of his remains Wednesday.
Burns reported from Washington.
military, delaware news, dover news, local/state
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95 16 min ago
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Obama mourns death of icon Nelson Mandela 17 min ago
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Missing mom, baby from Newark, Del. found
- Sinkhole opens up on Northern Liberties street 30 min ago
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook 29 min ago
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
16 min ago