Defense Sec. Hagel attends arrival of 4 war dead in Del.
DOVER, Del. - October 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel traveled to Dover Air Force Base on Wednesday for the arrival of the remains of four U.S. soldiers killed in Afghanistan.
Joining Hagel on the trip from Washington were Army Secretary John McHugh and Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno.
The remains of every U.S. military member killed overseas are flown to Dover for processing. Family members often attend the arrivals, but high-ranking Pentagon officials usually do not.
Hagel's trip to Delaware came amid congressional criticism over the suspension of $100,000 death benefit payments to families of fallen soldiers, which the Pentagon blames on the government shutdown.
The family of 24-year-old Pfc. Cody Patterson of Oregon allowed members of the media to witness the return of his remains Wednesday.
Burns reported from Washington.
military, delaware news, dover news, local/state
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 42 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting 14 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment 33 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion 45 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster 55 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Frost Advisory Overnight
8 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
42 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
33 min ago