Defense Sec. Hagel attends arrival of 4 war dead in Del.
DOVER, Del. - October 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel traveled to Dover Air Force Base on Wednesday for the arrival of the remains of four U.S. soldiers killed in Afghanistan.
Joining Hagel on the trip from Washington were Army Secretary John McHugh and Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno.
The remains of every U.S. military member killed overseas are flown to Dover for processing. Family members often attend the arrivals, but high-ranking Pentagon officials usually do not.
Hagel's trip to Delaware came amid congressional criticism over the suspension of $100,000 death benefit payments to families of fallen soldiers, which the Pentagon blames on the government shutdown.
The family of 24-year-old Pfc. Cody Patterson of Oregon allowed members of the media to witness the return of his remains Wednesday.
Burns reported from Washington.
military, delaware news, dover news, local/state
- Photos: 24 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 33 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 19 min ago
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway 9 min ago
- Road reopens months after Frankford water main break 24 min ago
- Man shot multiple times in West Philadelphia 9 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
19 min ago
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
33 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos