Greyhound bus crash kills woman, injures dozens in central Pa.
PHILADELPHIA - October 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Greyhound bus struck a tractor-trailer early Wednesday on Interstate 80 in central Pennsylvania, killing a woman, critically injuring four other people including the bus driver and sending dozens to the hospital, authorities said.
Trooper Matthew Burrows of the state police barracks in Milton said the bus was extensively damaged when it hit the rear end of a flatbed trailer that was hauling garbage at about 1:30 a.m. in the westbound lanes of I-80 in Union County's White Deer Township.
Greyhound spokeswoman Alexandra Pedrini said 38 of the 49 passengers transported to five hospitals were treated and released by late Wednesday afternoon, and then placed on replacement buses to their final destination. She said the bus driver, Sabrina Anderson, 42, was one of the four people in critical condition.
The bus was heading from New York City to Cleveland. Anderson has been with the company for more than 12 years, Pedrini said.
The driver of the tractor-trailer, Akos Gubica, 36, of New Jersey, told The (Sunbury) Daily Item that his rig was struck from behind by the bus. Pedrini declined to comment on that, saying the company was cooperating with authorities in their investigation and was conducting an internal probe.
The section of I-80 where the crash occurred was shut down for about 15 hours.
pennsylvania news, accident, bus crash, local/state
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed 38 min ago
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 26 min ago
- DA: Montco man gave alcohol at 'Sweet 16' party 2 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 39 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos