Greyhound bus crash kills woman, injures dozens in central Pa.
PHILADELPHIA - October 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Greyhound bus struck a tractor-trailer early Wednesday on Interstate 80 in central Pennsylvania, killing a woman, critically injuring four other people including the bus driver and sending dozens to the hospital, authorities said.
Trooper Matthew Burrows of the state police barracks in Milton said the bus was extensively damaged when it hit the rear end of a flatbed trailer that was hauling garbage at about 1:30 a.m. in the westbound lanes of I-80 in Union County's White Deer Township.
Greyhound spokeswoman Alexandra Pedrini said 38 of the 49 passengers transported to five hospitals were treated and released by late Wednesday afternoon, and then placed on replacement buses to their final destination. She said the bus driver, Sabrina Anderson, 42, was one of the four people in critical condition.
The bus was heading from New York City to Cleveland. Anderson has been with the company for more than 12 years, Pedrini said.
The driver of the tractor-trailer, Akos Gubica, 36, of New Jersey, told The (Sunbury) Daily Item that his rig was struck from behind by the bus. Pedrini declined to comment on that, saying the company was cooperating with authorities in their investigation and was conducting an internal probe.
The section of I-80 where the crash occurred was shut down for about 15 hours.
pennsylvania news, accident, bus crash, local/state
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian killed in Collingdale hit-and-run 7 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos