Missing Bensalem man presumed dead
BENSALEM Twp., Pa. - October 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say the missing Bensalem Township man at the center of a search on the Delaware River is presumed to have died.
Xiang "Billy" He, 38, of Locust Avenue, was last seen on Tuesday around 1:00 p.m. at the boat ramp on River Road in the Torresdale Manor section of the township.
He was reported missing at 10:00 a.m. Wednesday.
The 38-year-old was last seen Tuesday putting his red kayak in the water and maneuvering it to his sailboat off the Delaware banks.
In a new release issued Thursday morning, Bensalem Police said that He's missing kayak was found by a resident of Delanco, New Jersey.
Police also added He is "now believed to have perished in the Delaware River." Rescuers spent hours looking for He on Wednesday.
Investigators say He went shopping before coming to the Delaware and some of the purchased items were found on his sailboat.
"We surmise, at this point, that he made it to the boat, but we don't know if he made it back to land. His vehicle was here," Sgt. Andy Aninsman of the Bensalem Police Department said.
Police say He was a novice at boating and only recently moved to the Bensalem area.
Neighbors watched as the search was conducted from the water and air. They say he's a great father and was often seen playing with his young son.
"He has a son, really nice guy. He's very polite," neighbor A.J. Hedgepeth said.
The search was called off at sunset Wednesday.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Bensalem Police Department at 215-633-3719.
pennsylvania news, bensalem news, bucks county news, local/state
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives tonight
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids