Truck driver cited in University of Delaware school bus accident in Bear
BEAR, Del. - October 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a truck driver has been cited for failing to stop for a red light in the University of Delaware bus crash that injured approximately 40 people.
The accident occurred around 10:00 Thursday night in Bear, Delaware.
A bus was turning left from Summit Bridge Road onto Howell School Road when it was struck by a tractor trailer that was traveling north.
The collision caused the bus to overturn onto its side.
The bus was carrying a group of Sorority Sisters from the University of Delaware.
Police say there were approximately 40 passengers between the ages of 18 and 22 on the bus when the crash occurred.
Nine of the passengers were taken by ambulance to Christiana Hospital. Two were admitted with non-life threatening injuries.
The remainder of the forty passengers were taken to area medical centers by private vehicles and treated for minor injuries.
56-year-old John Faverio of Wilmington, Delaware was driving the bus. Police say 26-year-old Roberto Figueroa-Gomez was driving the tractor-trailer and was issued a traffic summons for failing to stop at a red light.
Both drivers were properly restrained and were not injured in the crash.
Authorities from the University of Delaware as well as Delaware State Police continue to investigate.
delaware news, new castle county news, school bus, accident, university of delaware, local/state
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Wet to Wintry
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Arrest in theft of Porsche part from Walker crash