Driver rescued from car after hitting school bus in North Philadelphia
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - October 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Seven people were injured, including five children, when a car and a school bus collided in North Philadelphia Friday morning.
The accident happened just before 8:30 a.m. at the intersection of 20th and Dauphin streets.
Authorities say a white Mercury disregarded a traffic signal and collided with the moving school bus, which was packed with children.
Witnesses told police that the driver of the Mercury had fled the scene on foot, however, that is not the case. As it turns out, the driver was pinned in such a way that she was near the passenger side of the car and needed to be cut out of the vehicle by rescue workers.
There were 18 children on the bus at the time of the accident.
Five of the children, ranging in age from 6 to 12 years old, were transported to St. Christopher's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Both the bus driver and the 25-year-old driver of the Mercury were taken to Temple University Hospital in stable condition.
This accident is under investigation.
north philadelphia news, philadelphia news, school bus, accident, local/state
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 13 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
- Delco 2nd grade teacher charged with assault 4 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 29 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 40 min ago
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 37 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 36 min ago
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 53 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 27 min ago
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush...
53 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
29 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with...
40 min ago