Pennsylvania prison typist raped by inmate despite alert
BELLEFONTE, Pa. - October 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- State police say a central Pennsylvania inmate was alone with a female prison worker for 27 minutes even after she blew an emergency whistle requesting help, during which time the inmate raped and choked her.
The July 25 assault at the State Correctional Institution-Rockview has prompted state corrections officials to review security procedures and the placement of civilian employees and has now resulted in rape and other charges against the inmate, 36-year-old Omar Best.
Online court records don't list an attorney for Best who was arraigned Thursday and faces a preliminary hearing on Wednesday.
A criminal complaint says the woman was a clerk typist when Best came into her office to take out the trash. The woman had previously complained that Best made her uncomfortable by asking about her marital status.
pennsylvania news, rape, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man