Southwest Philadelphia man helps save brother's life
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - October 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Southwest Philadelphia man used quick thinking to give his younger brother CPR after the teen suffered a blood clot.
Sixteen year old Albie Burton, a linebacker at Central High School, broke his leg in a game in late August.
On September 11, he was up late playing video games with his brother, when he began feeling strange.
"I'm like, 'Man, I feel funny,'" said Burton.
"I went into the kitchen to get some water and then I came back and you looked like you were sleep," said Joshua Lynch, brother.
Burton suffered a double pulmonary embolism, very rare in teenagers, and cardiac arrest.
When did Lynch realize he needed to take action?
"It was when my mom said, 'He stopped breathing,'" he said.
It happened too fast for Lynch to think about the CPR classes he took at the YMCA as a kid.
"I tried to give him CPR on the couch but it was too much give, so I put him on the floor," said Lynch.
The paramedics also administered CPR.
"We were heading to CHOP and then we had to stop again and they shocked him again," said Cherie Lynch, mother.
"It was just hard to see my son going through what he went through," said Albert Burton III, father.
Dr. Robert Berg says only 20 percent of the time, do people who witness someone in cardiac arrest do anything and less than ten percent survive, outside a hospital.
"When I first saw him, he was nearly dead," he said.
Lynch helped save his brother's life.
Dr. Berg says another reason Burton survived three cardiac arrests is because CHOP uses CPR mannequins that greatly increase efficiency when performing CPR. The hospital calls them 'rolling refreshers.'
However Lynch is the one who gave his brother a fighting chance. As for Burton, he expects to be walking without crutches by his birthday in mid-December.
philadelphia news, southwest philadelphia news, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Police probe pizza deliveryman shooting in SW Phila.
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police search for gunman in bar shooting 4 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co. 52 min ago
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co. 16 min ago
- Driver injured in Mayfair crash 2 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- WCU investigates indecent assault, carjacking attempt
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Philadelphia Eagles 2014 game schedule
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
52 min ago
- Police search for gunman in bar shooting
4 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos