Woman found shot dead on street in Riverton identified
RIVERTON, N.J. - October 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- Burlington County authorities have identified the woman who was found fatally shot on a street in Riverton Sunday morning.
It was around 5:20 a.m. when 22-year-old Te'Aira Denise Earvin of Youngtown, Ohio was discovered on the ground on Carriage House Lane, between Lippincott and Thomas avenues, unconscious and unresponsive.
Arriving officers pronounced her dead at the scene and determined she had been shot at least two times.
Police say Earvin was possibly shot first in the blue vehicle she was reportedly found next to.
An autopsy determined the cause of death to be the result of gunshot wounds and the manner of death was listed as homicide.
No arrests have been made.
It was shocking news for the quiet riverfront community.
"I heard shots. I happened to look at my computer, it was 5:11 a.m.," said Michaeal Heine.
The sound of two gunshots jarred some neighbors awake Sunday morning. Heine didn't know what to make of it, until he looked on his street. "It was shuddered in yellow tape," said Heine.
It was quite the shock for many.
"It's such a quiet neighborhood, I was shocked to hear of any crime let alone murder," said Helen Hughes. "Not in this town," said Rebecca Schaeffer.
That was the reaction from longtime residents in the close knit quiet borough that sits on the Delaware River and sees few violent incidents.
Neighbors say detectives spent the day knocking on doors and looking for surveillance cameras, but they shared little information, which left residents on edge.
"I always watch my back, we always watch each other's backs. This is a very small community, we care about each other," said Schaeffer.
"We have six kids and we're going to tell them not to go down the street until they figure out what's going on," said Helen Hughes.
The case is being investigated by the Burlington County Prosecutor's Office and the Riverton Borough Police Department.
Anyone with information that would be useful to investigators is asked to call Burlington County Central Communications at 609-265-7113.
new jersey news, burlington county news, shooting, homicide, local/state
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking 23 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 30 min ago
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover 41 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
23 min ago