Pa. woman gets prison in abandoned mother's death
LANCASTER, Pa. - October 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- A south-central Pennsylvania woman will spend six to 12 years in prison for allegedly leaving her bedridden 88-year-old woman alone to die, though the defendant says it was a mercy killing.
The Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era reports 67-year-old Janice Harmes was sentenced Thursday by a Lancaster County judge, after pleading no contest to a charge of third-degree murder.
Authorities say Harmes took Janet Bastendorf's cellphone - her mother's only link to the outside world - then left the woman alone without food or water for 10 days before she died on Jan. 6 of an infection.
Harmes tells the judge that she and her mother "had an understanding" that the woman wanted to die at home, not in a hospital. But the judge rejected that explanation calling it "inexcusable and reprehensible."
Information from: Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era , http://lancasteronline.com
lancaster county news, pennsylvania news, local/state
- Mug shot released of McNabb after DUI arrest 35 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear 21 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 23 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 33 min ago
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown 24 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 26 min ago
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster 13 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 32 min ago
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed 34 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
26 min ago