Hundreds line up for hope of a job in Camden
CAMDEN, N.J. - October 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- Hundreds of people lined up in Camden, New Jersey on Monday on the hope new jobs will be coming soon.
At the other side of the line was a ribbon cutting for the proposed Acts Industries at River Avenue and State Street.
The company is promising to create up to 1,000 jobs.
"There's nothing out there and they're giving a thousand people an opporutnity so i am taking advantage of it," said Steven Speich of Camden.
The company will one day manufacture modular structures advertised as sustainable housing for use anywhere in the world.
"I said 'We have to come to Camden," said Michael Buehler of Acts Industries. "The people of Camden need this, we need them and if we can do it in Camden we can do it anywhere."
Irv Richter is a local businessman and one of the people behind the new manufacturing venture. He promised big things to the big crowd that gathered outside the unfinished warehouse once the gates opened.
"What we're going to do is, we're going to put in a line that will make 30 to 40 homes in a day. Eventually, we'll have space for 10 lines," said Richter.
He told the crowd he expects the business will be open in three to four months, but the city said the company hasn't gone through the proper channels and has no permits.
Furthermore, the city said, the site is contaminated and will need months, if not years, of environmental cleanup.
Still, those in the crowd were hopeful and, after waiting for hours, they eagerly filled out their applications.
"Everybody and their mother is here to get a job and that's motivational," said Tyron Epps.
"It's a beautiful sight. I am happy to be here," said Walter Moore.
This event came with a heavy dose of politics as candidates campaigned for the November election.
A city spokesperson says he hopes that the company isn't giving people false hope as so many need real employment in a city where the unemployment rate is 20 percent.
new jersey news, camden news, unemployment, local/state
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila.
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Woman's body found between parked cars in W. Phila. 41 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged 51 min ago
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Couple accused of letting 2-year-old smoke pot
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 1 min ago
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more