$10,000 reward offered in Juniata Park attacks
JUNIATA PARK - October 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- The City of Philadelphia is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of a man wanted for three attacks on women in the Juniata Park section of the city.
Police earlier released surveillance video and a sketch of the suspect in the attacks. One of the victims was sexually assaulted. The other two victims managed to get away.
The first incident happened at 6:30 a.m. Thursday, October 10th on the 1400 block of East Lycoming Avenue.
A 22-year-old woman was walking in the 4100 block of Maywood Street on her way to the Erie Torresdale train station when a man armed with a handgun appeared out of a driveway, grabbed her by the jacket, and forced her into the rear of a driveway.
The suspect proceeded to sexually assault the woman and robbed her of $30 before fleeing the scene on foot.
Police believe the man struck again later that morning, this time at 11:40 a.m. along the 4200 block of O Street.
On Tuesday afternoon, police released surveillance video of this incident.
In the video the suspect, armed with a gun, is seen approaching a 20-year-old woman who was also on her way to the Erie Torresdale train station.
He pulls the female across the street and tries to take her into the alley and she resists.
Police say an oncoming car seen in the video spooks him and she runs down the block to safety.
Then at 7:20 a.m. Tuesday a 15-year-old girl was walking along the 4200 block of Neilson Street when a man exited a rear driveway and approached the girl. He allegedly tried making conversation with the girl, but when she ignored him he grabbed her by the arm and threatened her.
Action News spoke with this victim's mother Tuesday night.
"It's frightening. I can't even send my daughter to school. She can't even leave her own block," the mother said.
Like the other victim she was on her way to the Erie Torresdale Train Station.
"He tried to ask her name and she kept moving. She doesn't talk to strangers and then he grabbed her and tried to get her in the alley way," the mother said.
The teen managed to break free and ran home; the suspect fled.
Police have released a sketch of the suspect. He is described as a black male in his late 20's to early 30's, standing 5'8" to 5'10" with a thin build, facial hair, and gaps between his teeth. In the latest incident he was wearing a blue hooded sweatshirt with white stitching.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
philadelphia news, juniata park news, abduction, local/state
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist 18 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep 13 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 26 min ago
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown 29 min ago
- Mom to surrender after daughter, 11, shot and killed 17 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 19 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Man with samurai sword arrested at New Jersey deli
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
3 min ago
- Fire forces several residents from Logan...
43 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
19 min ago