12-year-old recovering after hit-and-run in Upper Darby
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - October 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- The search continues for a hit and run driver who left a 12-year-old boy with serious injuries in Delaware County.
Johnny Schott knows he is lucky he survived getting hit by a car at Cedar Lane and West Chester Pike in Upper Darby.
"I am just lucky that I managed to only get a broken leg, couple scratches," Johnny Schott said.
He also suffered a concussion.
The hit-and run occurred Friday just after 8:00 p.m.
Johnny was coming home from the park when he got to the intersection about two blocks from his home.
The driver of the car that hit him had no headlights on and may have tried to beat the red light.
Johnny was in the crosswalk when he was struck. The driver then took off leaving the boy bleeding in the street.
"All I know is that my leg was in so much pain, I couldn't even stand, really," Johnny said.
A Good Samaritan stopped and called for help.
Johnny's family can't believe that driver of the car that hit him never stopped.
"Cowards, that's the only thing I can say. Cowards for not stopping," Johnny's father John Schott said.
"It's heartbreaking, it really is," Johnny's aunt Tracy Chidester said.
On Tuesday afternoon, Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood stopped by to check on Johnny and give him a hero t-shirt.
He said police have no leads and need the public's help.
"Once again, you get these scumbag drivers that hit our citizens, our community members, and leave them laying in the street and drive away. That's totally unconscionable," Chitwood said.
Johnny's also hoping the hit and run driver is caught and he's looking forward to getting his cast off so he can get back to the park and playing with his friends.
"Stuff happens, but I am just lucky to be alive. Past behind me. Future ahead of me," Johnny Schott said.
Upper Darby Police Foundation is offering a $1,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest.
pennsylvania news, upper darby, hit and run, accident, local/state, sarah bloomquist
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow 41 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations 5 min ago
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays 56 min ago
- Video: Downed power line in Lower Merion
- Video: Katherine Scott reports on icy AM conditions
- Obama heading to South Africa 35 min ago
- Casino patron abducted, robbed and shot
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
41 min ago