Former Eagle Irving Fryar indicted in New Jersey
NEWARK, N.J. - October 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- New Jersey authorities say former NFL player Irving Fryar has been indicted on theft charges.
Acting Attorney General John Hoffman announced Wednesday that Fryar and his mother, Allene McGhee, are charged with conspiring to steal more than $690,000.
Prosecutors say the pair engaged in a "sophisticated mortgage fraud scam" by allegedly having McGhee obtain five equity loans on her home within a six-day period.
The 51-year-old Fryar lives in Springfield and is the pastor of a Burlington County church that he founded.
He was also head coach of the Robbinsville High School varsity football team. However, Superintendent Steven J. Mayer said Fryar has been suspended and an assistant coach will serve as interim head coach.
His 72-year-old mother lives in Willingboro.
"This is not a case in which Mr. Fryar and his mother simply omitted or misstated information on loan applications," said Acting Attorney General Hoffman in a news release. .
"This indictment alleges that they engaged in an elaborate criminal scheme that was designed to defraud these banks of hundreds of thousands of dollars," Hoffman continued. "He must face justice like anyone else."
If convicted, Fryar faces a sentence of five to 10 years in state prison and a fine of up to $150,000.
The former Pro Bowl wide receiver played for four NFL teams between 1984 and 2000, including the Philadelphia Eagles.
It's not immediately clear whether the pair have retained attorneys.
new jersey news, burlington county news, mercer county news, philadelphia eagles, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 10 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 50 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ