Man shot 19 times in apartment stairwell in West Philadelphia
WEST PHILADELPHIA - October 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia homicide detectives are trying to determine who shot a man multiple times in the stairwell of an apartment building.
It was 8:16 a.m. Thursday when police responded to the third floor of the building located at 110 North 49th Street.
When officers arrived they found the 34-year-old victim shot 19 times in the stairwell, with two suitcases by his side.
Police say the man was getting ready to take his 3-year-old daughter with him to the airport to catch a flight when he was shot and killed. Police say the victim was going to fly to Florida with his daughter to take her back to her mother there.
Investigators believe although the man was found early Thursday, they think the shooting occurred sometime Wednesday morning. That's when the father and daughter were supposed to fly out.
Philadelphia Police Captain James Clark explains, "We do not believe [the girl] was with him when he got shot. We believe that she was inside the apartment, heard the shots, came out later, found her father dead on the ground, actually tried to wake her father up. Very sad. Then ran into the room, closed the door and hid."
It appears the little girl was by herself for about 24 hours. When she was finally discovered by officers she was brought to police headquarters and transferred into the custody of DHS. Her mother is now en route from Florida to Philadelphia.
Police say the shooting appears very personal and targeted.
west philadelphia news, philadelphia news, shooting, local/state
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies