Oxford Circle pipe bombs suspect held without bail
OXFORD CIRCLE - October 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man accused of making pipe bombs found at a home in Philadelphia's Oxford Circle section was ordered held without bail Friday.
Michael Beer had his initial appearance in federal court. Another hearing was scheduled for Thursday of next week.
Beer was arrested at 10:00 p.m. Thursday by Pennsylvania State Police and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms officials in Roseto, Northampton County.
Police say Beer lived in the home where the pipe bombs were discovered Thursday.
He was charged with having a destructive device.
Officials say that there is no evidence to suggest he's connected to any terrorism group.
Authorities cleared the scene in Oxford Circle shortly after 2:30 p.m. Thursday, allowing the residents of fifteen evacuated homes to return.
The resolution came more than four hours after the incident began. It was around 9:55 a.m. when a woman called police after finding a pipe bomb in the basement of her home in the 6100 block of Shisler Street.
Police arrived and evacuated that woman's home along with a number of other homes on the block.
Students at nearby Laura Carnell Elementary School on Devereaux Street were kept indoors for recess as a precaution. Contrary to an earlier report, the school was never officially placed on lockdown.
The Philadelphia Police Bomb Squad arrived on the scene and, using a robot, detonated the device shortly before noon.
As the search continued, police say they found five more pipe bombs. Those devices were removed from the home.
No more were detonated.
No injuries were reported.
philadelphia news, local/state
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub
- Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run