Oxford Circle pipe bombs suspect held without bail
OXFORD CIRCLE - October 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man accused of making pipe bombs found at a home in Philadelphia's Oxford Circle section was ordered held without bail Friday.
Michael Beer had his initial appearance in federal court. Another hearing was scheduled for Thursday of next week.
Beer was arrested at 10:00 p.m. Thursday by Pennsylvania State Police and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms officials in Roseto, Northampton County.
Police say Beer lived in the home where the pipe bombs were discovered Thursday.
He was charged with having a destructive device.
Officials say that there is no evidence to suggest he's connected to any terrorism group.
Authorities cleared the scene in Oxford Circle shortly after 2:30 p.m. Thursday, allowing the residents of fifteen evacuated homes to return.
The resolution came more than four hours after the incident began. It was around 9:55 a.m. when a woman called police after finding a pipe bomb in the basement of her home in the 6100 block of Shisler Street.
Police arrived and evacuated that woman's home along with a number of other homes on the block.
Students at nearby Laura Carnell Elementary School on Devereaux Street were kept indoors for recess as a precaution. Contrary to an earlier report, the school was never officially placed on lockdown.
The Philadelphia Police Bomb Squad arrived on the scene and, using a robot, detonated the device shortly before noon.
As the search continued, police say they found five more pipe bombs. Those devices were removed from the home.
No more were detonated.
No injuries were reported.
philadelphia news, local/state
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today 27 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook 13 min ago
- Police officer's SUV stolen with gun, badge
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- No jackets for North Philadelphia cheer squad
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's 22 min ago
- Video: First dog knocks down toddler at White House 21 min ago
- Fight erupts during Philly Christmas tree...
39 min ago
- Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's
22 min ago
- Mysterious, driverless car spotted on highway
21 min ago
- First dog knocks down toddler at White House
21 min ago