Counterfeit $20 bills passed in Bucks, Montgomery counties
UPPER SOUTHAMPTON, Pa. - October 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in the area are on the lookout for the suspects who have been passing counterfeit $20 bills at businesses in Bucks and Montgomery counties.
Investigators released surveillance photos in the hopes someone will recognize the suspects, or their car.
That car is described as a white Nissan Altima model year 2010, 2011 or 2012.
Police say that car has a distinct dent under the driver's side door.
One of the businesses hit was the Hess Station on Street Road in Upper Southampton Township.
"He actually threw up a thing of Twizzlers and gave me a $20," said employee Todd Reiter. "It didn't feel like money."
"He hit it with the pen and it passed, but it still didn't feel right," Reiter continued.
So, he held it to the light only to discover the bill was missing its security bar. That's when he called police.
Reiter says he checks all the money to make sure it's real, saying it's his responsibility if the register comes up short.
Police say the problem with fake money is that once it gets passed around, it's in circulation and becomes a problem for everyone.
"We all count on the money that we have in our wallet being actual good currency to buy things but counterfeit money is completely worthless," said Richard Goldberg, the Economic Crimes Chief of the U.S. Attorney's Office.
Investigators say the pair have been seen using their money in Lower Moreland Township and in Dublin Township as well.
Anyone who recognizes the subjects or vehicle is asked to contact Det. Craig Rudisill at 215-364-5000 ext. 117 or email@example.com
For tips on how to detect counterfeit currency, visit SecretService.gov.
pennsylvania news, bucks county news, montgomery county news, counterfeiting, money, local/state
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight 57 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester 9 min ago
- Van crash leaves 2 men trapped in Center City 48 min ago
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford 10 min ago
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire 13 min ago
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
57 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
12 min ago