2 disturbing animal cruelty cases in Kensington
KENSINGTON - October 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Pennsylvania SPCA is investigating two disturbing cases of animal abuse in the same West Kensington neighborhood.
Lexington, a 3-year-old female pit bull, and her companion Hudson, came into the hands of the Pennsylvania SPCA on Thursday night in very bad condition.
"Lexington was very weak, she stood for a few minutes, but then the officers had to carry her out of the home," said Rebecca Glenn-Dinwoodie, PSPCA.
Humane officers happened to be in the 2100 block of East Cambria Street, responding to a call about a nearby home.
However police heard the desperate barking coming from the basement of another home. When they looked through the basement window, they saw two dogs in horrific conditions.
"They didn't have any food or water and the basement was pretty much covered in feces..She was very, very weak. She could barely walk, a couple steps then she had to be carried in," said Dinwoodie.
Hudson wasn't as bad as Lexington but he was still in poor condition. Both pups are now being nursed back to good health.
"Right now, we're all very optimistic that we'll be able to bring her back to good shape and find a good home for her," said Dinwoodie.
Lexington and Hudson's owners have been charged with animal cruelty.
However Thursday night would prove to be a tough night for human officers.
Not too far away, at the corner of Martha and Monmouth streets, they found the remains of five dead dogs.
There was a pit bull in a garbage bag, a small mixed breed dog in a cooler and three small mixed breed dogs in a pile. None of the dogs had identification.
Authorities are asking for the public's help in tracking down the person or persons responsible for the five dead dogs.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Pennsylvania SPCA at 1-866-601-SPCA (7722).
philadelphia news, kensington news, animal abuse, animals, local/state
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot 5 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill 2 min ago
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken 42 min ago
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Water main break causes river of ice in...
2 min ago
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken
42 min ago