Atlantic City man gets 130-year sentence for killing 2 teens
MAYS LANDING, N.J. (AP) - October 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- An Atlantic City man who authorities say was seeking revenge for a robbery when he shot at a group of teens five years ago has been sentenced to 130 years in prison for killing two boys.
Kory McClary will have to serve at least 112 years before becoming eligible for parole under the sentence imposed Friday. He was convicted in August on numerous charges, including murder, aggravated assault, conspiracy and weapons offenses.
Atlantic County prosecutors say the 27-year-old McClary received separate 50-year prison terms for killing 15-year-old Michael Nelson of Atlantic City and 19-year-old Phillip Fano of Hammonton, who were both shot in the head. He also received an additional 30-year sentence for the other offenses.
Prosecutors say McClary believed Nelson and another 15-year-old in the group had robbed him. The other teen was not injured when McClary fired into the group, who had gathered on a city street in June 2008.
The shooting occurred one day after the city homes of Nelson and the other 15-year boy were shot at in a drive-by shooting. McClary was also charged with those shootings.
After the murders, prosecutors say McClary fled to Alabama where he was later arrested and jailed on unrelated charges. While in an Alabama jail, they said McClary told two cellmates that he had killed the teens.
new jersey news, teens, homicide, shooting, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video 44 min ago
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line 46 min ago
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon 55 min ago
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 45 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught...
44 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish...
46 min ago
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston...
55 min ago