Man critically injured in Norristown shooting, suspect flees
NORRISTOWN, Pa. - October 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Montgomery County are investigating an overnight shooting in Norristown that critically injured a man.
The incident occurred around 3:00 a.m. Sunday in the parking lot of the Riverside Apartments located in the 100 block of Schuylkill Avenue.
Authorities received a 911 call reporting the sound of gunfire.
When the first officer arrived, police say his patrol car was sideswiped by a VW Passat exiting onto Schuylkill Avenue at a high rate of speed.
Additional officers arrived and the suspect driver turned down an access road adjacent to the Riverside Apartments next to the Veterans Memorial Bridge.
The suspect then fled his vehicle and ran towards the Schuylkill River.
Several police agencies along with firefighters searched for the suspect, but were unable to locate the man or the gun used in the shooting.
The victim was shot at least once in the face and taken to Einstein Medical Center Montgomery.
He was later transferred by medical helicopter to The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in critical condition.
pennsylvania news, montgomery county news, norristown news, shooting, local/state
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila.
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington 57 min ago
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Beyonce releases new album on iTunes