Pa. agents seek information from state senator, AP says
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) - October 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Agents from the Pennsylvania attorney general's office showed up at two district offices belonging to a Philadelphia-area state senator apparently in a search for information about improper political activity, two people familiar with the matter said Sunday.
Sen. Leanna Washington, D-Philadelphia, said in a statement through a spokeswoman that the agents arrived at her Philadelphia and Montgomery County offices on Friday.
Washington's office would not immediately say what they agents wanted or what they took. But two people familiar with a search warrant provided by the attorney general's office said the agents were seeking boxes of information or paraphernalia related to political activity and copies of information on the offices' computers.
The people spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the matter.
Joe Peters, a spokesman for Attorney General Kathleen Kane, a Democrat, said Sunday that he could not confirm or deny whether the office's agents searched Washington's offices or the existence of any investigation into Washington.
The Philadelphia Inquirer first reported on the search warrant.
The Senate Democratic caucus issued a statement through a spokeswoman saying they were aware that the attorney general's office was seeking information concerning Washington's office and that they would fully comply and cooperate with prosecutors.
Washington, 68, was elected to the Senate in 2005 and is the Democratic chairwoman of the Senate Aging and Youth Committee. Before that, she served 12 years in the state House of Representatives.
Typically, a search warrant must be approved by a judge before it can be executed by investigators and is public unless sealed by a judge. Using taxpayer-paid resources to aid campaign or political activity is illegal.
pennsylvania news, local/state
- Photos: 24 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 20 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 6 min ago
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway
- Road reopens months after Frankford water main break 11 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
6 min ago
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
20 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos