Surveillance released of suspect in Society Hill shooting
SOCIETY HILL - October 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are hoping newly released surveillance video will help identify the suspects in a recent robbery and shooting in Philadelphia's Society Hill section.
the shooting happened at 2:00 a.m. Monday on Walnut Street near 2nd Street.
The 33-year-old victim told police he had left a club and was walking back to his car.
As he put his keys into the door of the gray 2007 Jeep Cherokee he was approached by two young men wearing hoodies.
Police say the suspects are believed to be between the ages of 15 and 17. They were armed with guns, and one was wearing silver framed glasses.
The victim almost had his car door open when the teens allegedly started pistol whipping him. He was able to break free, running a half a block down Walnut when he was shot once in the back.
Police say the suspects then fled on foot, leaving the car behind.
"The keys were in the car," said Philadelphia Police Captain George Fuchs. "They could have easily taken the car, but for some reason they decided to shoot him anyway."
The victim wandered through several blocks before finding some men who called 911. He was taken in critical condition to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. He was later upgraded to stable condition.
The first suspect is described as a black male, 5'8" to 5'10", 150 to 160 pounds, wearing a dark colored hooded sweatshirt, dark colored pants and armed with a handgun.
The second suspect is described as a black male, 5'8" to 5'10", 150 to 160 lbs, wearing a light colored hooded sweatshirt, dark colored pants, and armed with a handgun.
Investigators are hoping the surveillance video released Tuesday will lead to an arrest.
philadelphia news, shooting, society hill news, old city news, local/state
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion 19 min ago
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill 10 min ago
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted 38 min ago
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?